
Khouth Sophak Chakrya, The Phnom Penh Post
Thu, 16 June 2016
A man who is the prime suspect in the beheading of his teenaged brother-in-law was deported back to Cambodia yesterday after being arrested by Thai police. Biv Long, 30, allegedly murdered the victim Ti Tin, 17, with an axe.
Tin’s decapitated body was found under Toek Thla Bridge in Bantaey Meanchey’s Sisophon town on May 8.
Cambodian investigators were alerted to Long’s suspicious behaviour when he did not attend Tin’s funeral on the grounds that he and the victim had incompatible Chinese zodiac birth years.
Bantaey Meanchey provincial court deputy prosecutor Sok Keobandet said Long was considered the sole suspect and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
“While the authorities were bringing him for interrogation over the murder, half-way through, the suspect tricked the authorities by telling them he needed to go to the toilet, then he escaped immediately in a crowded place,” Keobandet said.
Long has reportedly been hiding out in Thailand working at a restaurant in Phramutchedi district.
Sith Los, Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy police chief, said Long had been caught by Thai authorities after their Cambodian counterparts requested assistance.
Long was sent to the provincial prison in Banteay Meanchey for temporary detention. He is expected to face charges of intentional murder.