
Khmer Times/Pech Sotheary Wednesday, 21 September 2016
Senior opposition member Son Chhay said yesterday that he and his fellow party members would enter the National Assembly to resolve some ongoing problems and planned to summon four ministers for clarifications as well as to appeal for the health minister’s resignation.
After visiting opposition officials in Prey Sar prison yesterday, Mr. Chhay told reporters that members of the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) would return to work in the National Assembly next month to try and resolve lingering issues through negotiations with the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP).
“Prime Minister [Hun Sen] said he wants to negotiate, not to threaten demonstrations,” he said. “So I think the circumstances in which we observe both the encouragement and motivations of international groups, demands from citizens and time wasted by the two parties in their obligations to the nation, it seems that it’s time.”
In May, CNRP members announced that they could not work in parliament because their immunity had been violated by the government, with deputy leader Kem Sokha and other members being charged for various offenses by the court.
The announcement of their return to the National Assembly comes after Mr. Hun Sen said on Monday that if he negotiates with the opposition after threats of mass demonstrations, he would consider himself a dog.
But, the premier added, if the CNRP wanted to negotiate, they should return to work at the National Assembly.
Meanwhile, Mr. Chhay confirmed that when his party’s members rejoin parliament, they would summon the ministers of agriculture, defense, health and justice to clarify some issues in their sectors. Mr. Chhay also appealed for the health minister to resign, saying his sector was worsening.
“We can’t be careless with health problems. The minister must request his resignation from the position. I’ll ask him to answer appropriately. If no answer, we will have a vote to drop him,” he said.
“These health problems have affected people for many years. Let’s not keep it the same.”
CPP spokesman Sok Eysan said the CNRP’s decision to enter parliament was up to the members of the opposition, but added that the government was functioning smoothly without them.
“It’s their issue – if they want to enter or not is up to them. We are still making progress without being politically stuck to them. They complain to others, sometime this, sometime that, up to them,” he said.
“They want people to comfort them, people who can comfort them if they do something against the law. Those who work illegally must be in prison, and those who are not can continue to work. It’s not right to amass citizens to protect the wrong people.”
Health Minister Mam Bun Heng could not be reached for comment, while ministry spokesman Ly Sovann declined comment yesterday.
Justice Ministry spokesman Kim Santepheap said his ministry had to wait for an official invitation from the National Assembly president and get approval before responding.
Independent analyst Meas Ny said that working together to solve major societal issues between the two main parties in parliament seemed to occupy very little time. He stressed it was a good thing that the CNRP had decided to return to work in the National Assembly after being given the green light by the ruling party while political tensions are happening.
“If there are open doors, even if they are not wide open, they should negotiate. I think it’s admirable historically, but we must keep watching to see if it achieves the desired goals or just dissolves into more disputes. So we keep watching,” he said.
“We are not too optimistic because sometimes Cambodian politicians seem unclear. Today they say ‘it’s good’ and tomorrow they will say contradictory things according to their feelings.”